Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Towels To Be Reckoned With




“...any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.”


from Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
quoted at “Towel Day”
at Wikipedia





I have three towels and I know where they’re at.

Although yesterday was not laundry day
(and today’s not officially Towel Day)
I got caught in the rain and got so wet
I did a wash so I could dry my clothes
and that means my towels got washed and dried too.

I have three towels and they’re always in use.

One will cover my keyboard workstation.

One will cover my portable keyboard.

One will be the towel I use after showers.

After every laundry day I fold them
and then rotate them deciding which towel
will get used for what this laundry cycle
so they don’t get bored covering keyboards
or drying me off after morning showers
always the same towel stuck with the same job.

Each week the towels get a new assignment.

But I always know where my towels are at.

Yesterday after laundry and folding
but before I gave them new assignments
I took a nap and used them as pillows.

They were very comfortable pillows
and my “nap” turned into a full night’s sleep.

Last night everybody took the night off
but today everybody’s back at work.

The towel with the seahorse is spread on top
of my keyboard workstation and the towel
with trees is on my portable keyboard
and the towel with the sailboat dried me off
after I got up for this morning’s shower.

The galaxy continues to rough it
slum it struggle against terrible odds
but my towels always know where I am at.


























No comments: