Thursday, August 09, 2012

This Makes Me Think Of “The Swan” Too




Saint-Saëns was a child prodigy, exhibiting perfect pitch at age 2, composing his first piece at 3, making his first public appearance as a piano accompanist at 5 and his debut in a piano recital at 10. After performing a full program of Bach, Handel and Mozart, he asked the audience to choose any one of Beethoven's sonatas for him to play as an encore, by heart.

... Saint-Saëns's study of Greco-Roman mythology inspired his lush symphonic poems "La Jeunesse d'Hercule," "Le Rouet d'Omphale" and "Phaeton." He wrote music criticism and learned papers on ancient instruments, ancient theater decoration, mathematics and occult sciences. He pioneered French revivals of Bach, Handel and Rameau. As conductor he produced and funded orchestral concerts of new music by French and foreign composers. In addition, Saint-Saëns was a serious amateur astronomer, a published poet, and author both of a successful comedy and of a philosophical treatise proposing that science and art substitute for religion.


A Rich and Fertile Legacy
Too Long Misunderstood


Wall Street Journal, August 7, 2012
promoting the
Bard Music Festival
this year featuring Saint-Saëns
Annandale-on-Hudson, New York





I did not think the girl could be so cruel
And I am never going back to my old school


My Old School, Steely Dan

“California crumbles into the sea
That’ll be the day I go back to Annandale”





This is from Smallville, a season five Clana moment from “Thirst.” Lana is a vampire now and she’s upset that Clark won’t have sex with her. Clark doesn’t know Lana has become a monster. He’s confused, so Lana just dumps him.

LANA LANG: “If you’re going to be all needy
and insecure, maybe we need to reevaluate
this relationship.”





One of the most fun things about this blog was my discovering the music of Saint-Saëns. I can still remember hearing “The Swan” for the first time. And it still sounds as wonderful to me now as it did then.

Clockwork Musicians

This Makes Me Think Of “The Swan”

Harps And Flutes, Swans And Monsters

Two Swans


I’ve never been to Annandale but I wouldn’t hesitate to go. I don’t think I will be able to attend the Bard Festival featuring the music of Saint-Saëns, but I would like to.


*


One of the most horrifying things about doing this blog was some of the context around my discovery of the music of Saint-Saëns.

The Opposite Of Washing Machine


And I am never going back to my old school.








. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .




























No comments: