Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Curious About A Curious Woman



So yesterday I did a little sketch.

I was someplace where there was a very pretty woman and I thought she looked interesting and, particularly, I thought she had an interesting expression, very curious. So I had a go at making a very fast sketch to see if I could capture something of her “curious” look.

It’s just a little sketch, and I used a cheap pencil (again!) but it was all kind of spur of the moment and unplanned. I’ve got a scan of my sketch, but first here is a photo of my notebook to give you an idea of the size of the little sketch:


The image is only about four inches by two inches. I’m so frustrated with myself. I tell myself again and again to work large and work dark, but when I actually buckle down to work I fall back into my old habits.

Anyway, I wasn’t too unhappy with the little sketch so I scanned it even though it is light and my scanner is not the best:


I thought this wasn’t too bad. It only took something like about five minutes and I was trying to be inconspicuous.

I need to throw away my cheap pencils. If I simply don’t have cheap pencils, then I won’t be tempted to use them. But I don’t know how to force myself to work larger. I keep reminding myself, but when I sit down to sketch something my first lines are always framed almost as if I were working on an index card.

But I wanted to post this image because it’s been a long time since I’ve put up a drawing. And since it really is a priority for me to get better at this I want to have examples up for myself to work against, to compare to, to improve from.

*

So I need to think about this, I need to come back and look at this post after a couple of days have passed.

I’ve got a couple of projects in mind where I’d like to use drawings or paintings rather than photographs. But I need to work larger and with more firmness.

I’ve got a curious expression on my own face right now because I’m wondering how well I’d do if I took more time, worked larger, and asked a woman to pose for me.

I don’t know.

























No comments: