Friday, January 27, 2012

Songs For Hippies Don’t Scare The Pigeons





Don’t scare the pigeons
I just put out some bread
Look at them eating
That’s what it’s like inside my head

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .



I wrote that little melody and bit of verse
this afternoon. To play it I split my keyboard
and play chords with my left hand and flute with my right.
I like to experiment with the harmony.
Sometimes I support the flute with a piano,
other times with a guitar or synthesizer.
And I change chord voicings, change bass and treble notes.

Getting technology to work doesn’t scare me.
I’m not scared by theory, or practicing technique.

For me that stuff is like throwing bread to the birds.

People scare me. And I wish I could fly away
the way pigeons fly away when people scare them.

That’s what it’s like inside my head. And some people
scare pigeons for fun. They think: They’re just stupid birds.

That’s what it’s like inside my head. I remember
a guy laughing at me because I was shopping
wearing a sport coat. I wanted to fly away.

That’s what it’s like inside my head. Just stupid birds,
and some people run through just to send them flying.

I like pigeons. There’s wilderness around cities
and pigeons could fly away if they wanted to
but they stay with us even though we frighten them.
I guess they like the people who don’t frighten them
enough that they put up with the other people.

Hippie girls used to put flowers in rifle barrels.
That was brave. And it didn’t frighten any birds.

Even the Time magazine hippies who just danced
were in it for the dancing, not to frighten birds.

Songs for hippies. That’s what it’s like inside my head.























1 comment:

David talpur said...

I love the blog. Great post. It is very true, people must learn how to learn before they can learn. lol i know it sounds funny but its very true. . . http://pigeonbasics.us